Description

... dance, fitness, food, health, life...

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

#31Days, Episode 1: Why the Lindy Hop



Hello friends and welcome to Episode 1 of #31Days to the Lindy Hop! Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee, and enjoy a little story chock full of joy, jive, and jazz.


Why the Lindy Hop?

The Lindy Hop is, and will always be, my first dance love. Before there were the 'tard and tights, there were the spectators and spankies, the red lipstick and hair rolls. There was jazz, man! Hot, swinging jazz. And it was good.

I want to share more about this rich, high-energy art form, one that was born right here in the US of A. Oh, swing is most definitely all over the world at this point, but it started right here.

I want to tell you, dear reader, that swing is so much more than flashy, acrobatic moves. Tossing a partner through the air is not exactly dancing. I don't say that to come off exclusive, amigos, I just want to shed light on the fact that Lindy does in fact have footwork and technique. And there is etiquette on a social dance floor--big moves on a busy floor is a big no-no. The flashy moves are oh-so-fun (see my face in the pic above?) but they are just the cherry on top.

More than anything else, though, I want you to know how important the Lindy Hop is. It was born and cultivated at a time in history when the country's economy flat-lined, when America jumped into the middle of another world war, and while racial segregation was still rooted deep like an ugly weed. The Lindy Hop gave people joy and happiness and hope at a time when even a simple smile was a struggle.

The Lindy Hop is important to this gal, too. It shaped me to be who I am today by encouraging me to blossom from an insecure girl to a young woman with confidence. It helped me discover who I am: a dancer! I met my best friends. I traveled around the country. I even got to meet some of the people who shaped the very Lindy world way back in the day.

Yes, yes, y'all, I have a whole lotta love for the Lindy Hop. Thank you for stopping by and allowing me to share it with you!

Anyone else a Lindy lover? Please tell me about it in the comments, I'd love to connect!

 xoxo
J

No comments:

Post a Comment