Description

... dance, fitness, food, health, life...

Thursday, June 26, 2008

A few words on this season's SYTYCD...

I was watching last night's episode of So You Think You Can Dance - yes, I watch and love that show - and there are three couples that keep blowing me away...





"Twitchington" (Twitch and Kherington) makes me laugh out loud. Mark and Chelsie's routine brought tears to my eyes (really!). And I'm just enamored with Joshua and Katee... well, maybe more Joshua than Katee :) but they are a great partnership. As for individual dancers, Will just rocks my socks. There aren't really words to describe what an amazing, phenomenal, talented, beautiful dancer he is... okay, so there are a few words, but I digress...



The quality that make Twitchington, Mark/Chelsie, and Joshua/Katee stand above the rest is they are true entertainers. The other dancers and couples are very good, yes. Very, very good. They wouldn't be on the show if they weren't, and I'm not holding on to any delusions that I'm better than any of them (because I'm not)... BUT, these three couples kick some serious ass because they dance very well and they entertain while they're dancing. They aren't just going through the assigned choreography. Their expression begins in their faces and moves all through their bodies until it reaches into their toes. They just have that entertaining quality, you know?They have it. (You other dancers and performers know exactly what I'm talking about.)



I hope, hope, hope that one of these three couples, plus Will, makes it to the final rounds. It would be a travesty if they don't. I'm wrapped up enough in these dancers after three short weeks that if one of them is cut tonight in the results show, I just might get choked up. Roll your eyes, that's fine - I proudly admit my addiction to this show. There are very few television shows that have this affect on me, especially the more mainstream, pop shows, so I'm allowed to indulge. (I believe SYTYCD is one of the better reality shows in that it is more realistic than, say, coming to live in some huge mansion with 19 other girls while you all compete for some desperate rich-boy's "true" love and affection... please.)

Dance should serve two purposes: to bring joy and to entertain. [Sidenote: Nothing irks me more than some avant-garde kind of "dance" such as butoh (Google it) claiming to be part of the dance world. Yes, I will offend some by saying that but I'm not here to make everyone happy and sugar coat everything I write.] The joy of dance should be for both the dancer and the audience, and with joy comes entertainment. A dancer who feels pure joy can't help but entertain whomever may be watching. It's kind of a cause-and-effect thing, a law of nature. The three couples that I'm rooting for put this law into practice every Wednesday night... so far, anyway. I have a feeling they'll stick around in the coming weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment