Description

... dance, fitness, food, health, life...

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Adventures in Chicago: and that's a wrap

That's it. All done. No more. It's finished.

My four week summer dance intensive is officially over. I'm relieved, sad, proud, happy, restless, satisfied, ready for the next chapter, ready for the next level... so many emotions at once.

Today was emotional overall. We met at the studio early this afternoon to have what they call a "continuum", which is really a meeting for everyone to talk about what's going on, how we've been feeling, things to bitch about, all that. We did one in the very beginning, we did one in the middle and we had our final continuum today. Today we discussed the goals we set at the first continuum, whether we've reached them, exceeded them, changed them along the way... it was good stuff. Some of us cried (me included of course - I'm a crier), we laughed... it was one big happy family.

And speaking of, that's something that I've really loved about this group. I LOVED the sense of community with this group. There were different ages, different skill levels and different walks of life at this intensive, but no one ever acted holier than thou, cliquey, or too good to talk to you or encourage you. Completely opposite of CSU. And sadly, from what people have told me, it's like that at many dance studios and departments. But that's another discussion for another time...

It's surreal that the intensive is done, after all the bruises, sweat and tears. It feels like I've been here for much longer than four weeks. Come Monday, it will feel like I should pack my dance bag with my leotards, tights, bandaids, snacks and gatorade, ready to hop on the train to downtown, but I will be playing tourist instead. One isn't better than the other, it will just be another shift in gear.

*sigh*

It will be good to relax and have some down time with some of my new friends before we all leave Chicago. It will be good to let my body recover. In fact, I really kind of need it... I'm nursing a messed up ankle, a swollen foot, and bruised up feet and knees and elbows... so it will be good to kick back for a couple days and have that drink I've been waiting for and let my bruised, swollen body parts heal. [And then I can get back to work!]

Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on all your hard work. I would loved to have done something like that, oh and I have some dance talent. Ah ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Sounds like you have earned some serious R&R... enjoy it, love ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohmygosh!! YAY! Congratulations on all your hard work and dedication! Enjoy your recovery :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessi Day!!!! What an incredible experience?! Congratulations, you gotta break it down for me how amazing it was out there!

    ReplyDelete