Description

... dance, fitness, food, health, life...

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Dance auditions: don't think, do {part 2}

Manic Monday thwarted my posting schedule once again, hence why part two of my story is late.
But you know how we roll here at Better late than never...

I was a little nervous walking into the studio, of course, especially since the other dancers were greeting each other with seasoned familiarity. But wouldn't you know it, before I could even begin to feel sorry for myself that I was the odd woman out, one of the girls bounced over to me, said "Hi!", and when I reached out my hand to shake hello, she enveloped me in a hug instead.

Yes. I was with my people.

We stretched, we filled out registration forms, and we took our places on the marley. And we danced.

So, how did I do? Did I get my leg up to my head? I know you all lost sleep over this over the weekend... ;)

My leg did not get to my head (working on it). I stumbled here and there, I forgot bits and pieces of combinations, and good gravy my laterals (Horton technique, anyone?) are out of practice. But you know what?? I deem the audition one big, fat success.

Here's why.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was very concerned about being too old and too out of practice. I have convinced myself over the last year or so that maybe the four-plus years at CSU were it for me, that my pursuit of dance was a fun but temporary season, nothing I was going to really do anything with, and now it was time to move on. I was sad every time this crossed my mind, but that's been my train of thought as of late.

Thank God that runaway train was derailed.

After the audition, the August Wilson Dance Ensemble held their company rehearsal, and they invited us to stay and watch. Sitting in that dark theater was the cherry on top. Watching those talented dancers work through their rehearsal process, watching the director work with them, asking them to give more of themselves, to move beyond the room we were in... Oh my heavens. Just yes.



It was just what I needed to reconfirm that yes, this is where I belong. My time on the marley is not quite over.

xoxo
J

4 comments:

  1. Love to hear the excitement in your voice, Jessi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray hooray hooray!

    And Lester Horton was crazy. CRAZY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. isn't it great to have that feeling of not being done yet? that there is more to come. so excited to see your adventure unfold.

    ReplyDelete