Description

... dance, fitness, food, health, life...

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

FINALLY!

I realized yesterday, as I stared out the window of one of my classrooms, that I have the mid-winter blues. However, these are not the typical mid-winter doldrums. I've decided that I have a case of reverse mid-winter blues. What does that even mean, you ask?

Well, you know how some people feel depressed or in a low mood resulting from a lack of sunshine, which typically occurs in the middle of winter when its typically cold and overcast? Okay. Well, what about someone feeling bummed about not getting typical winter weather, in the form of snow? That's me. No joke. Don't get me wrong, I love Colorado's intense sunshine and I'm a sucker for it's warmth on my skin in spring and summer when my arms and legs are bared. Key words there: spring and summer. Also, Colorado is crazy-dry as it is – a water bottle, lip balm and lotion are carry-in-your-purse-or-bag daily necessities if you don't want to shrivel up like a prune. The lack of moisture for weeks and weeks doesn't help matters.

Then a miracle happened!

I was at work when it first started. It was just a light sprinkling, and I nervously held my breath afraid to get too excited, too soon. I was afraid that announcing a snow-sighting would jinx it all away. But then it started to steadily come down, and when the cars in the parking lot began to be blanketed in white, my inhibitions fell away. I started making rounds about the office announcing that it is SNOWING (as if no one else could see it but me!).

I don't think I have to worry anymore about scaring the snow away... its coming down hard. The snowflakes are huge, too, but I find it interesting that they're not the light and fluffy kind normal for this time of year. They're heavy and wet snowflakes, typical of spring snow. Its not surprising, though, considering how abnormal this winter has been.

No matter. I'm just happy its here. And of course I'm jonesin' to play in it - snowshoe, ski, build snowmen, whatever. *sigh* Alas, I have school and work responsibilities. Dare I hope for a snow day tomorrow...?

1 comment:

  1. That was an excellent snow, wasn't it? I was in Old Town and was like, 'whoa, how'd that happen?' but it was great.

    ReplyDelete